Home   Locations Glossary Site Map
Domestic Violence

Do you need assistance obtaining a Domestic Violence Restraining Order?




What is a Restraining Order?

A Restraining Order is a court order that protects you from abuse. It can protect you from being physically abused, threatened, stalked, or harassed.

Who can get a Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO)?

  • You can file for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order if you, or your minor child, have been the victims of domestic violence from:
  • A spouse or former spouse;
  • A person you are dating or used to date (it does not have to be an intimate or sexual relationship);
  • The mother or father of your child;
  • A person related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption (such as a mother, father, child, brother, sister, grandparent, or in-law);
  • A person who regularly lives or used to live in your home (but you must have a closer relationship than just roommates).

How can a Domestic Violence Restraining Order help me?

A Domestic Violence Restraining Order can require your abuser to stop threatening you, your children, or the people who live with you. Restraining orders can also tell someone to stop calling, move out, stay away from where you live or work, give up a gun, limit the time he or she spends with your children, pay certain bills, pay child support, give you back your things, or pay some or all of what your lawyer charged you.

What is a Restraining Order Declaration?

A restraining order declaration is information written down in your own words, that will help the judge make a decision in your case. You must submit the declaration to the court along with Judicial Council form DV-100, Request for Order(Domestic Violence Prevention).

Where can I get online help in putting my declaration together?

Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center at www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/protection/dv/formsyouneed.htm

For more information about domestic violence restraining orders and resources available to help you, please visit this website or you can contact Victim Services at (559) 661-1000 or their 24-hour Crisis Hotline is (800)355-8989.







© 2004 - Superior Court of California     Our Privacy Policy