Civil Limited & Unlimited Cases
Civil Cases involve claims by one party or individual against another for wrongs committed or damages done. Civil Cases can be divided into these main categories:
- Civil Unlimited: The claims are for an amount greater than $25,000.
- Civil Limited Between $25,000 and $10,000: The claims are for an amount between $25,000 and $10,000.
- Civil Limited Less Than $10,000: The claims are for an amount less than $10,000, such as Residential Unlawful Detainers, Civil Harassment, Employment Harassment, and Elder Abuse, to list a few.
- Small Claims: The claims are for an amount less than $5,000
Current fees assessed through this department can be found on the Schedule of Fees.
Local Procedures and Notes
- Ex-parte hearings are heard in Department 40, 44, and 45 Monday-Friday at 8:00 A.M. Documents along with the 24-hour Notice or Non-notice Declaration must be submitted to the courts no later than 11:00 a.m. the previous work day prior to the court date.
- All documents are to be filed two (2) days prior to the court date.
- Madera Superior Court does not have a Probate Examiner on staff. Plaintiffs must complete the forms properly by themselves or seek legal assistance from an attorney or paralegal.
- If you are scheduled for a long-cause trial in Dept. 44 or 45, please take a moment to review the Department 44 and 45 Trial Policies.