Civil Limited & Unlimited Cases
Civil Cases Between Private Parties
Civil Cases involve claims by one party or individual against another for wrongs committed or damages done. Civil Cases can be divided into these main categories:
- Civil Unlimited: The claims are for an amount greater than $25,000.
- Civil Limited Between $25,000 and $10,000: The claims are for an amount between $25,000 and $10,000.
- Civil Limited Less Than $10,000: The claims are for an amount less than $10,000, such as Residential Unlawful Detainers, Civil Harassment, Employment Harassment, and Elder Abuse, to list a few.
- Small Claims: The claims are for an amount less than $5,000
Normal window hours are 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM. The busiest hours are from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM and from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Visitors are encouraged to report to the Civil Department window no later than 2:00 PM for processing and copies of case files. A drop box will be available from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM for filings. Note that cash payments cannot be placed in the available drop box at any time.
For tentative calendar dates, call the Court Services Division at (559) 416-5540 between 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
Current fees assessed through this department can be found on the Schedule of Fees.
Local Procedures and Notes
- Ex-parte hearings are heard in Department 40, 44, and 45 Monday-Friday at 8:00 A.M. Documents along with the 24-hour Notice or Non-notice Declaration must be submitted to the courts no later than 11:00 a.m. the previous work day prior to the court date.
- All documents are to be filed two (2) days prior to the court date.
- Madera Superior Court does not have a Probate Examiner on staff. Plaintiffs must complete the forms properly by themselves or seek legal assistance from an attorney or paralegal.
- If you are scheduled for a long-cause trial in Dept. 44 or 45, please take a moment to review the Department 44 and 45 Trial Policies.