Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Self-Help Services

Free resources are available to help you find legal information and learn how to represent yourself in some legal matters.

If you need legal advice you should consult with a lawyer. See the Lawyer Referral and Information Services.

Self-Help Center

The Superior Court of Madera County Self-Help Center and website provide services and procedural information for self-represented litigants in order to increase understanding, participation, and access to the justice system and to enhance efficiencies and effectiveness of the court. The facilitator does not fill out forms and cannot represent you.

The Family Law Center offers help with a number of civil issues, including:

  • Domestic Violence Restraining Orders (see additional information at this link)
  • Divorce, Child Custody, and Spousal Support
  • Civil Harassment Restraining Orders
  • Start or Terminate a Guardianship
  • Name Change / Gender Change
  • Uncontested Step-Parent Adoption (Agreement By All Parents)

For information concerning the self-help resources provided by Madera Superior Court, please watch this informational video.

Important Disclosure

These programs and services are available to all parties in a case. The program staff cannot represent any of the parties in a case. No attorney-client relationship is created between any party and the program staff as a result of these services. Communications between parties and program staff are not confidential. The staff can only provide information and education, not legal advice. To receive legal advice, one must hire a private attorney.

Scheduling an Appointment

Appointments are scheduled Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

If you are more than 10 minutes late for a scheduled appointment, you will need to reschedule or wait in the Self-Help Office as a walk-in, which is on a first come, first served basis. 

If your case involves the local child support agency, or you have a referral from one of our judges or commissioners, you may call to schedule an appointment. Those only requiring single forms may receive them from this location during business hours. Form Packets are available from the Civil Division or on the Form Packets page. If you do not have an attorney or other qualified individual assisting you with the completion of your documents, you may contact the Self Help office, who may be able to assist you.

Information on Custody Issues Surrounding COVID-19

Call the Self-Help Center

Phone: (559) 416-5520
Fax: (559) 675-4947

Call Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Email the Self-Help Center
Please include you name, phone number, email, case number, if any, and a brief description of your question.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.