Cases Involving Marriage and Children
Family Law Cases involve legal proceedings related to family and marriage issues, including:
- Child Support
- Custody and Visitation
- Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce)
- Dept. of Child Support services, Child Support Actions
- Domestic Violence - Restraining Orders (RO)
- Establish Parental Relationship (Paternity), Petitions for Custody and Support
- Legal Separation, Nullity
- And others
Family law cases in Madera County are heard at several locations, including the Main Courthouse. Self-Help and Facilitator services are available on child support, spousal support and health insurance issues only. Family Support cases are only heard at the Main Courthouse.
Current filing fees and fees assessed for Family Court Services mediation and investigation services can be found on the Schedule of Fees.
A listing of all state forms used in Family Law procedures can be found on the state Family Law website and a packet of frequently used forms are available at the Main Courthouse.
Please contact the Civil Division for filing questions at (559) 416-5525.
For Adoption, refer to this online guide.
Local Procedures and Notes
- Ex-parte hearings are heard in the assigned Department, Monday – Friday at 8:15 a.m. Documents along with the 24-hour Notice or Non-notice Declaration must be submitted to the courts no later than 10:00 a.m. the previous workday prior to the court date.
- All documents are to be filed two (2) days prior to the court date.
- The Record Search fee is $5.00 per name and takes about 5 days.
- Family law packets are available and can be obtained from the Main Courthouse Facility.
- Family Code Section 4320 factors are included here for your reference.